Wednesday

Getting Started

“The journey of a thousand miles starts with one step.”

I had tried various diets before and failed. I had tried Weight Watchers two different times and gained weight. In college I went to the gym frequently and ate as little as possible. I lost 70 pounds but gained it all back plus some. I was scared to fail again because it would mean my destiny was to be obese for life.

I also realized that each day that went by where I did not make a change was a day of my life lost – a day that I could never get back.

I was overwhelmed and did not know where to start but since I had been the most successful in my previous dieting experience with exercise, I decided to start going to the gym again.

I started by walking on the treadmill for about 45 minutes 3 times a week. I could only walk at a 2.4 mph pace. After each workout my feet were so sore that I could barely walk. I soon started alternating the treadmill with the elliptical. With a lot of support from my husband, I stuck with this for 3 months. According to current research, it takes at least 6 weeks to form a new habit.

During these 3 months I lost 10 pounds. I was encouraged, but wanted to lose weight at a faster pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment