Wednesday

Long Term Fitness

“It never gets easier, you just get better.”

After a year and 80lbs lost, I hit a 2 month plateau, and knew it was time to make a change. I began training with Cody Harter two times a week. I was referred to Cody because of his reputation for being the toughest trainer in the gym.

Immediately I was impressed with Cody’s attention to detail and precision. On the first day Cody tested my current fitness level using a heart rate monitor. Cody then came up with a few cardio assignments, targeted to push me to my maximum, such as walking on the treadmill at 3.5mph with the incline set to 12. At this point, this was extremely hard and I could barely get through Cody’s assignments. I realized that as I had become more in shape, I had failed to increase the intensity of my workouts enough. Cody pointed out that there had been no structure or progression to my workouts. Previously my workouts had been a random combination of spin classes, yoga classes, strength classes, and time on the cardio machines.

It took some time to get used to training with Cody. I barely could finish each workout and I often felt sick during the workouts. But I enjoyed how tough each workout was and I enjoyed the challenge. Many of Cody’s workouts were outside. The workouts included sprinting up a big hill, running backwards up the same hill, running up stairs, as well as many other drills. Cody always mixes up the workouts so I don't get bored.

I quickly began to lose more weight, and I noticed my running endurance and speed was improving.

I found the workouts with Cody to be so valuable in helping reach my goals that I began training with him 3 times a week. After I adjusted to this, I began taking his boot camp class on the other two days of the week. I currently work out with Cody a total of 5 times a week now.

I love that I continuously see improvement in so many ways. My running time went from a 14:30 mile to a 9:00 mile in one year. I have seen increases all around in my strength. And of course, I have continued to lose weight. But the weight loss is more of a side effect of focusing on continuously improving in the various aspects of my training program.

Cody has also helped motivate me in times when I have lost some of my motivation. When he noticed that the scale was not dropping very quickly he asked me why and I realized I had let too many refined carbohydrates slip back into my diet. Cody reminded me of my goal weight and the date I had set to reach it. Other times, Cody would make me run with the amount of weight I had left to lose. Running with an extra 25 pounds is not fun! I have always felt that Cody is extremely invested in my success and knowing this has helped to me to work even harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment